jeudi 17 janvier 2013

Yesterday I Was on Safari, I think...

Whereas on the way to the eastern hemisphere of the world, the days fly by, on the way back to the United States, it sort of stretches into one very long, very strange day.  How many times will I eat all three meals and call them breakfast?  Will I eat lunch on the plane since I am leaving Frankfurt at lunch time, then eat lunch when I get to DC because I arrive at lunch time on the same day?  I am not really sure.  It is all very confusing.

Needless to say, I am in Frankfurt, Germany right now waiting to board my flight to Washington, DC.  I left Rwanda yesterday at 3:30 pm.  I stopped in Entebbe, Uganda on my way to Addis Ababa.  From Addis I flew to Khartoum, Sudan.  I was essentially unconscious for this stopover.  From Khartoum we flew to Frankfurt. I woke up with about 90 minutes left in the flight.  It was enough time to eat some scrambled eggs, drink coffee and realize that my hair looked like I slept on my face for 6 hours.  Because I did.

It seems strange that only yesterday-ish I was on Safari in Akagera park watching the sun rise over lake Ihema and Tanzania.  It is even stranger to me that I have been afforded the opportunity to do such a thing.  I never thought in my life that I would be able to do that.  I feel so fortunate. It puts into sharp contrast the difference in lifestyle that I am afforded as a 'middle class' American compared to that of a middle class Rwandan.  I get to leave their every day struggle when I am done with an evaluation and go on safari and go to Lake Kivu.  They have to stay where they are and keeping forging ahead.

The evaluation process ended well with a successful presentation to CHF and their staff.  Now the hard work is ahead of us.  Flight is now boarding!

cheers
AJ

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire