mercredi 5 juin 2013

I am headed to Uganda

 I was officially offered the job with Village Enterprise on Sunday. I decided to accept the position, and sent in my signed offer letter the next day. So starting in July, for the next year, I will be the Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Fellow for Village Enterprise in Uganda. 

I will be based in a town called Hoima in western Uganda, but I will also be traveling in the region. My travels will take me to another site in northern Uganda, and to the city of Kakamega in western Kenya (an 8 hr bus ride from Nairobi). I'm fortunate that a: I found a job in my field so soon after graduating b:that this job will allow me to travel and get paid and c: that it is something I am really interested in and d: I have friends and colleagues working in the region!

I would not move to Uganda/Kenya to just go. I think Village Enterprise is doing exciting work, and that they are increasingly recognized in the development world.  I think it's a strong step in the right direction for my carrier and will give me the chance to learn a great deal of technical monitoring and evaluation skill in the field.

Am I nervous? Yes. I am starting a new job in a new country that faces really unique challenges. I will be away from my girlfriend and my friends and family in a very long distance kind of way.

That being said I am also thrilled. I have long wanted to visit Kenya, and being in Rwanda in January drew my attention and care to East Africa in a much more tangible way.

I will know my official start dates by tomorrow. More to come on that ASAP.

Cheers!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire