vendredi 17 avril 2015

Hitting the Gym...Sort Of

Since being back in DC, I have been so happy to get to go running a lot.  The weather has not always cooperated up to this point, but now as we move towards May, things are only looking up.  The trees are getting leafy, the flowers are out, the weather is consistently not angrily blowing sleet directly and personally at me while I run.

Running is lovely, and with Meridian Hill Park across the street, there are great stair sets I can run.  However, I have been wanting to find a gym where I can also lift weights.  I don't want to get ripped, just more fit and strong to help my running and tennis game.  I want something like this ideal body.  So, I have begun the gym hunt.  Fortunately for me there is a YMCA a 5 minute walk from our apartment.  It seemed like a good place to start.  I think of the Village People happily costumed and festooned in flamboyant sequined headdresses touting the benefits of such an affordable, supportive place.  This Y is a little different.

I walked in the Y in the brand new renovated building.  The lobby of the Y opens directly into Sweet Green.  For those of you who know DC, that should set off some warning bells.  For those of you who don't, click here.  It is a great place.  I was greeted by a woman who handed me a form to fill out.  She asked me why I had been so lazy and never showed up before.  Okay not really she asked if it was my first time in, and that she would set me up with a tour. 

After filling out the form, Chris, a young, fit black man came over to me and said "LOOK AT ALL MY MUSCLES! WHY DO YOU EAT SO MUCH CAKE? HAVE YOU CONSIDERED PROTEIN POWDER?" And after my brain's self judgement filter switched off, I realized he actually introduced himself and offered to show me around.  The gym was beautiful, not like any Y I had seen in the past.  It was full of young 20-somethings and early 30-ers, mostly white or ethnically ambiguous enough to be hip and nonthreatening to the general populous, and wearing designer workout clothes.

He showed me the ecomill treadmills that are powered just by running, no electricity (why not just run outside?) and the 4 types of elliptical machines and 3 types of stationary bikes.  It was all over whelming.  So many bodies moving in a poorly timed ballet, in sync but chaotic.  It was overwhelming.  Behind the cardio floor was the pool and the weights were below us.  It was new and clean and modern.  The locker rooms were spacious with nice showers, saunas, and steam rooms.  It was all very good.  At the end of the tour he said, "So I hope you feel pressured enough by all these young bodies to buy a membership immediately!  Thanks!"  Then he directed me to the same woman as before who asked about my laziness.  She smiled sweetly and explained membership options.  I told her I would have to talk to my girlfriend about it first.  She nodded her understanding and said, "alright then, enjoy quitting before you get started this evening!"  Then I used my free day to work out.


I think I will get used to all these things again.  But the gym just seemed like a lot.  And it seemed funny to walk outside to exercise inside after not doing that for two years.  And all those aggressively fit and nicely dressed young people were intimidating!  So many yoga pants!  But I can do it.  The gym search continues, and in the meantime, I will be out for a run.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire