mardi 12 juin 2012

Pulled in Many Directions

I find I have the problem that I am pulled in many directions.  On the one hand, I came here to work as an intern for ACEO, and that is my main purpose.  On the other hand there is so much interesting culture and language to learn, and so much incredible food to eat that I cannot help but want to participate fully in immersing myself in that, too.  Third there is the constantly unfolding news of developments pertaining to culture wars, religion, politics and current events that perpetually catch my eye (especially as it potentially pertains to my safety).

So how do I prioritize?  Well I am responsible first to ACEO, and I was funded by SIS to come and work, so I try to maintain focus on that.  Fortunately (or unfortunately) I work from home so I am able to stretch my work out over about 10 hours, during which I actually work about 6 to 7 hours.  This flexibility allows me to maintain a blog, keep up with current affairs fight with Tunisians on facebook about posting news articles from the US that are apparently uninformed (see my facebook wall if you are interested in the reference).  Work also includes site visits to the poorer suburbs, municipal offices and working meetings cafes throughout the city.  There is a lot of collaboration, which is like, but I am frequently left to my own devices which can be challenging.

After work and current affairs I guess I go after culture.  I am usually working in the kitchen at the table in the house I rent a room in.  I live with a delightful family (who are all good cooks to my good fortune) and the kitchen is a hub of activity.  I am surrounded by the smells of roasting vegetables, pastries, garlic, onions, paprika, cumin, peppers, capers, olives.  I get to watch, partially engaged, as meals are prepared.  The pots ring, sing and dance on the stove-top, all four burners going at once.  The oven is full of bread and dishes are being cleaned for reuse.  It is busy, and on the 100 degree days it gets hot.  But the aromas are heady and delightful and the companionship while I work is as welcome as the solitude I sometimes seek.  This way I also get to learn the words for foods in Arabic and many polite expressions (I was just given warm home-made whole wheat bread).

After all of these things I go out with Bilel and his friends, which is always delightful.  Sometimes we go for coffee at a Salon de The, or out to Port El Kantaoui just to stroll and take in the sights, or out to dinner, or my personal favorite, to the beach.  I get to enjoy the tourist sights on the weekend, and Bilel is a great tour guide, host and friend.  So I get to go out too.

But there is a level of politeness that we still haven't broken.  In our ever increasingly in-depth conversations of religion it has never turned bitter.  It approached more of a confrontation on facebook today because my intelligence was called into question, and that I do not tolerate, but religion gets people fired up here.  Just look at what happened in La Marsa, a wealthy suburb of Tunis.  This Blogger's perspective is more balanced and informed as he is on the ground, compared to Reuters quick assessment and reporting.  Or look at the ongoing problems of how the state is dealing with religion in its institutions (This is the article I posted that drew criticism on facebook).  Needless to say religion is the central point of contention as the country moves ahead.  I have a feeling clashes and demonstrations like this will only grow more numerous as elections approach.

There is so much going on and I want experience it all, but I have to remember why I came and that it is important to prioritize my goals, career development and academic achievement as well as the opportunities I have for social enrichment.  Cheers to staying the path, working hard and staying informed.


À bientôt

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire